New personal project - Cartoon Character "Earthworm Jim"


Here is my new personal project, which is currently half-way done.
I love making cartoon characters. So when I started thinking about what to build next, this was first what came to my mind.
When I was a child, Jim was one of my most favorite video games character. I was really stunned by the beauty of graphics and good humor of the game.
I think this is a good choice and a good challenge.
It would let me practice with lots of things:
- modeling a more complex mesh
- rig the character with complex spine and additional bend controls on legs and arms
- rig a face
- Jim's body is supposed to come out of the costume and be a separate rigged mesh from the costume
- UV layout of the mesh
- complex texturing

So I am currently half way there. The following things are already done:
- the model itself
- the UV layout
- the skeleton of both Jim and his suit

What needs to be done next:
- bind the skeleton to the mesh
- setup weights and correct deformation
- apply the face rig
- create and apply advanced textures (currently I just used simple color texture to make Jim more appealing :) )
Basically the next steps are the most complex for me and it's hard to say when they will be finished.
But I plan to post here further progress.

Комментарии